An upside down cake never fails to impress visually but our version will impress you even more with its amazing taste. Add the delicate flavours of spices without any fuss at all with the Spice Drops®.
For the Caramelised Pears:
- 6 large, ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered lengthways
- 3 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 80 g caster sugar
- 130 ml Kentucky bourbon or whisky
- 12 drops Ginger Spice Drops®
- 10 drops Cinnamon Spice Drops®
- 6 drops Clove Spice Drops®
- 6 drops Nutmeg Spice Drops®
For the Cake:
- 65g plain or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 160g unsalted butter
- 75 g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 170g maple syrup
- 30g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda or baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- To make the caramelised pears, mix the pears with the lemon juice. In a large frying pan, melt the butter and sprinkle half the caster sugar. Put the pear quarters into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until brown on one side then turn and cook for a further 5 minutes until the other side is brown. With a flat spatula carefully remove the pear quarters and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the bourbon and the rest of the caster sugar into the same pan and stir frequently for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes syrupy. Add in all the Spice Drops®. Pour this syrup into a 23cm x 32cm or 9 inch x 12 inch baking tin and tip the tin to spread the syrup evenly over the bottom of the tin.
- Start to arrange the pears from one corner so that they cover the bottom of the tin and are facing in the same direction. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, sift together the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together for around 5 minutes on a medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time at a lower speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the maple syrup and beat for a few minutes more. Then mix in the ground almonds.
- In a small bowl, add the boiling water to the bicarbonate of soda and set aside. Add half the dry flour mixture to the creamed mixture on a low speed, then add the water and bicarbonate of soda mixture and the rest of the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. It will look like the mixture has split, but that is alright.
- Scrape the mixture into the tin on top of the arranged pears and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 160°C/325°F/gas 3 and bake for 10 minutes more. When done, the top should bounce back when lightly touched. Cool in the tin for 1 hour. Then loosen around the edges of the cake. Place a tray over the top of the tin and carefully but quickly turn upside down and serve.