Delicious rich dessert for special occasions. The rose, saffron and cardamom bring this traditional dish beautifully, together.
- 200ml Ghee for deep frying
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 4
- 25g, almonds, soaked, peeled and chopped
- 10 unsalted pistachio nuts, chopped
For the milk for topping:
- 500ml whole milk
- 5 tbsps. evaporated milk powder
- 5 tbsps. condensed milk
- 100g almond powder
- 8 drops Cardamom Spice Drops®
- 5 drops Saffron Spice Drops®
For the sugar syrup:
- 550ml water
- 100g sugar
- 2 drops Rose Spice Drops®
- Heat the ghee in a large frying pan, until ready for frying. To check that the ghee is hot enough, add a bread square. If it sizzles, add the remaining bread in batches. Fry the bread squares until deep golden brown in colour. Place them on a plate lined with kitchen towel to drain the surplus ghee.
- For the sugar syrup: In a saucepan, add the water to the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, until it becomes a thick syrup. Add in the Rose Spice Drops® and mix.
- For the milk topping: In a heavy-based pan, bring the milk to a gentle boil, over medium heat. Continue boiling until the volume of the milk is reduced to about half.
- Add in the milk powder and the condensed milk. Simmer together for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ground almonds to this mixture and simmer for a minute. The mixture should now have a thick pouring consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Try and incorporate any milk that has stuck to the sides of the pan into the mixture. Add the Cardamom Spice Drops® and mix evenly.
- Arrange the fried bread pieces in a shallow dish, large enough to allow them to be laid in a single layer. Evenly pour the sugar syrup over the fried bread. Let it soak for 2-3 minutes. Then spoon the prepared milk mixture over the bread evenly. Scatter the chopped nuts all over the soaked bread. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until completely cold. It’s best enjoyed cold and served with a dessert fork.