Short, highball, blended – the world of cocktails is wide and with the help of Holy Lama Spice Drops® natural extracts, it has never been easier to discover! So roll your sleeves up, get behind the bar at home and let’s get mixing!
Where did it all start?
The history of cocktails is controversial. Some believe in its American roots, others find their beginning in the British punch houses of the 18th century, where bowls of juices, liquors and spices were prepared. Some even relate the beginning of mixology and herbal infusions to the apothecary art in continental Europe. However, the first official appearance in print of the definition of a cocktail was is 1806 in “The Balance, and Columbian Repository” /Hudson, N.Y./, where it was described as “a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters it is vulgarly called a bittered sling… “
Since then, cocktails have evolved dramatically, transforming the drinking culture around the globe and turning cocktail-making into an intricate blend of art, science and creativity!
Embrace your inner mixologist
While flipping bottles and infusing glasses with smoke may seem like witchcraft, making the perfect cocktail doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are some essential tips that will help you create the perfect blended drink at home.
- Experiment but always aim for balance
Experimenting with spirits and flavours offers unlimited possibilities, but always strive to achieve balance in your creation. A simple ratio that bartenders follow is 2:1:1 – 2 parts spirit, one part sweet and one part bitter. Take Old Fashioned for example – made of bourbon, simple sugar syrup and bitters. Once you have mastered this formula, you can let your creativity take control.
- Ensure you have the right equipment
Stocking up with some key cocktail tools will take your bartending skills on a whole new level. Start with the essentials – shaker, bar spoon, strainer, jigger and a bar spoon and add more professional tools as your skills progress. Cocktail making tools are easy to find, and here is a useful selection of 17 cocktail sets – ideal to add to your Santa’s wish list.
- Use high-quality ingredients.
Although crafting good cocktails might look complicated, it all comes down to using high-quality ingredients. Therefore, select the spirits carefully. Make a simple syrup at home. When you can, choose fresh fruits instead of frozen or canned. Choose natural, high-quality extracts for utmost flavour. We present to you our Holy Lama Spice Drops Christmas Cocktail Line-up!
The Holy Lama Spice Drops Christmas Cocktail Line-up
A Christmas classic with added festive spices to bring that warming flavour. It can be enjoyed with or without alcohol. Inspired by this recipe, try out this smooth and sweet drink warm for a truly comforting drink
- 1 litre (4 cups) full-fat milk
- 1 drop Cinnamon Spice Drops
- 1 drop Nutmeg Spice Drops
- 2 drops Vanilla Spice Drops
- 2 egg yolks
- 90 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- Pour the milk into a pan. Add the Spice Drops and gently heat for a few minutes
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until lightened in colour
- Remove the milk from heat
- Slowly pour the hot milk over the egg mixture, whisking as you pour. Then pour the mixture back into the pan and gently heat while continuing to stir. You’ll know it’s ready when steam rises from the surface and the eggnog very thinly coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Enjoy with brandy, rum or its great on its own!
Festive Dark & Stormy
For the rum lovers – this autumnal spiced drink is a must-have! We added our Spice Drops touch by adapting this festive recipe to make it even quicker to prepare.
Shake together then pour over ice cubes:
- 80ml dark spiced rum
- 80ml cranberry juice
- 10ml Maple syrup with 5 drops of Cinnamon Spice Drops
- 120ml ginger beer
- 20ml fresh lime juice – 2 drops of Lime Zest Spice Drops
If using a glass – fill with two-thirds ice, start with the rum and the cinnamon maple syrup mix. Mix these a little and then add in the remaining ingredients one at a time. Voila!
Would it be Christmas without mulled wine? You’d be silly not to take the chance to sip on this winter drink. Do you like yours hot or cold?
Lightly spice some fruity flavours with cinnamon, and you’ve got a flavoursome festive cocktail for the gin-lovers!
- Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Filtered water
- 50 ml / 2 shots of gin
- 250 ml Appletiser
- 3 Cranberry ice cubes
- 4 drops Cinnamon Spice Drops
- Slice apple
- Wedge of lime
- Place 4 cranberries in each compartment of an ice cube tray, top up with distilled water and freeze overnight. If the cranberries float, half fill the tray, allow to freeze then top up with more water.
- Add the ice cubes to a glass (a balloon, shaped Copa de Balon if you will) and then add the Cinnamon Spice Drops.
- Pour in the gin.
- Top with Appletiser and apple. Gently squeeze the lime edge and also throw that into the drink.
A Marvellous mocktail
Finally, for the non-drinkers, try this simplified Cranberry Ginger inspired mocktail.
- Add 1 drop of Orange spice drops and 1 drop of Ginger Spice Drops to a glass.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of simple syrup and 50ml of cranberry juice.
- Mix, add ice, then top up with sparkling water! Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.
Spicing things up
With over 31 herb, spice and floral flavours, Holy Lama Spice Drops® will inspire you to experiment and impress behind the bar. Settle into autumn by adding a Great Taste Award Winner Cinnamon Spice Drop® to a classy Whiskey Sour or perhaps travel to a warmer destination with a Turkish Delight Martini. The options with our unique concentrated extracts are unlimited. They will give your drink an authentic taste with no preservatives, artificial colourings or flavourings. Start mixing at home with our Cocktail Spice Collection or make your own selection of natural extracts. Get inspired with some delicious alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks recipes from our blog. Cheers!