They take just under 30 minutes from the start until they are ready to be served. They can be made non-gluten-free using standard self-raising flour.
- 100g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 3 pieces of stem ginger, crushed and finely chopped
- 6 drops of Lemongrass Spice Drops
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon stem ginger syrup
(1) Butter four small ramekins or individual pudding moulds.
(2) Mix together the golden syrup and the stem ginger syrup and divide between the pudding moulds.
(3) Sieve the flour, baking powder and ground ginger together. Mix with the remaining ingredients until they only just come together: don’t over-beat it or the sponges will be too dense.
(4) Spoon the mixture into the pudding moulds over the syrup and gently flatten out. Lay each pudding mould on the centre of a large sheet of foil and bring up the foil over the puddings, twisting at the top to form a loose parcel.
(5) Place the puddings in a steamer over a pan of simmering water. Put the lid on the steamer and steam the puddings for 20 minutes, checking that the water doesn’t run dry.
(6) Remove the puddings moulds from the steamer and remove the foil carefully. Invert the puddings onto a serving plate. Serve with a little extra syrup and either cream or custard.