FAQs About Products
Holy Lama Spice Drops®
- The Spice Drops are too strong for my drink – how do I dilute them?
You can add them to tonic water, jut water or to your garnish or add a drop to plate and then take a little bit on a stirrer and stir them in.
- How are they made?
The spices are first cold-pressed using rollers – crushing them in a non-heat generating manner ensures that the vibrant flavours are preserved. The crushed spices are then passed through an extraction vessel where the ethyl acetate (the solvent) is percolated in order to obtain the maximum volume of spice extract. The extracts are passed through a de-solventiser, where the solvent is removed using vacuum suction so as not to adversely affect the flavours. All that remains at this stage is the highly-concentrated oleoresin (oil + resin). Based on years of in-house research, we have developed the optimum concentration of Spice Drops®. Accordingly, the oleoresin is mixed with emulsifier polysorbate 80 to yield the final product in the desired ratio suitable for culinary use.
- What is Polysorbate 80?
Polysorbate 80 consists of natural sorbitol and plant-based oleic acid. Currently, the main use of Polysorbate 80 is as an emulsifier or de-foamer in foods, vitamins, medicines, and vaccines. Polysorbate 80 is extremely versatile, highly-effective, and entirely non-toxic, non-mutagenic and non-carcinogenic. It has very little potential to cause human skin irritation, sensitisation, or phototoxicity. It’s listed as an approved ingredient by in The Handbook of Green Chemicals and Whole Foods – (whose standards, developed by a team of scientists over many years, are some of the strictest available).
- Why do you need an emulsifier?
We use the emulsify for 2 purposes, to tone down the strength of the extracts and also without the emulsifier they wouldn’t blend easily in cocktails or tea.
- Are there any preservatives?
No there are no preservatives, only extracts and emulsifier.
- How much do I use?
You can see the ratio chart here.
- They sound fabulous, but how do I use them?
We have so many delicious recipes to help you use them to their best potential!
- Interesting but I’m not really sure about them.
Don’t worry, we get that. Why don’t you try some samples first and see if you really like them? Sample Vials available here.
- I would like to use them in cake – how much do I use?
For 250g of butter about 10-15 drops, depending on the flavours. Just make sure the aroma is a little stronger as when you bake them in the oven, the flavours will evapourate a little bit.
- Can I freeze them?
You can theoretically but that will not increase the shelf life.
- Are they vegan?
Yes 100% vegan and also registered with the Vegan society.
- Why do you keep the spice drops in plastic pouches?
We try and use minimal plastic but to avoid damage due to potential leakage we seal it in a plastic pouch. It is 100% recyclable plastic.
- Why would I use Spice Drops® rather than traditional spices?
- Simple – no preparation or messy powders
- Versatile – a huge range of uses in both food and drink
- Long life – a 3-year shelf life from date of manufacturing
- Economical – average price just £3.49 per bottle
- Consistent flavouring – better cooking with more reliable results
- Flexible – can be used at any stage of the cooking process
- Accessible – spices at your fingertips ( minimum storage 20 cm)
- Sensory – spray via an atomiser for delicious culinary aromas
- Health benefits – add the ‘wow’ factor to healthy dishes
- Ethically-sourced – clear provenance of ingredients
- Ethically-produced – Holy Lama makes a lasting difference to the lives of disadvantaged women in Kerala,South India
Holy Lama Body Care
- Are you a fair trade business?
We do follow the 10 principles of fair trade in our manufacturing and business operations. Thus we are a member of The Fair Trade Network UK. We have always put our workers first before profit and that is why we rely so much on word of mouth to further our business. Also our factory is a women’s enterprise where more than 80% of the workforce is women.
- What is special about your skincare range?
Besides the fact that they are natural, vegan, sulphates & paraben free, they are made with unique combination of essential oils which means they have the most beautiful and long lasting aromas.
They are also made with a balance of the Ayurvedic principles which makes them gentle and kind to all skin types.
- Do your soaps get soggy or crack?
No, our soaps do not crack or get soggy and they are just absolutely wonderful, we are biased of course!
- Can I use your products on children?
We have not clinically tested our products on children or babies so we couldn’t say. Please always check ingredient list to ensure they are not allergic to any of the ingredients.