Nothing starts the day stronger than a warm bowl of flavoursome oats. Slow-release energy and proven to have many benefits, including helping with weight loss, lowering blood sugar levels and a reducing the risk of heart disease. With ingredients inspired by a Scandinavian baking cupboard, this porridge pairs perfectly with a black filter coffee. Top with fruit and seeds to add even more nutritional value to the first, most important meal of the day.
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 large Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 drops of Cardamom Spice Drops
- 8 drops of Vanilla Spice Drops
- 1-2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (more or less depending on sweet preference)
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 apple, sliced
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Hemp seeds (optional)
- Drizzle of almond milk (or milk of choice) for serving
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the oats and dates to the hot water, reduce the heat, cover and simmer. Stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Cardamom Spice Drops, Vanilla Spice Drops and maple syrup. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be.
- Add to serving bowl and top with hazelnuts, apple, hemp seeds, a drizzle of almond milk and a pinch of cinnamon.