- 8 large egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 500ml whole milk
- Zest of 1 orange, for texture
- 1 x 200g bar dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 6 drops Orange Spice Drops®
- 480ml double cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt. Gradually whisk in the whole milk.
- Place the mixture in a medium saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Stir until the custard thickens slightly and evenly coats the back of the spoon. This should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the orange zest. Break up the chocolate into small pieces. You could do this by placing the chocolate in a bag and smashing with a rolling pin. Add half of the chocolate into the custard. Stir until melted. Add the Orange Spice Drops®, cover and let it stand for 30 minutes. Pop the saucepan in a bowl of ice cold water to speed up the freezing.
- Stir in the cream and the rest of the chocolate pieces for added texture and crunch. Allow to stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a resealable plastic container and freeze until firm.
- Serve and enjoy!