This traditional cake gets an amazing twist with Spice Drops®! You can give your own twist with other flavours too.
For the cake:
- 350 ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 400g plain or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda or baking soda
- 450g caster sugar
- 6 free-range eggs
- 14 drops Cinnamon Spice Drops®
- 525g carrots, peeled, washed and grated
- 150g walnuts, roughly chopped
For the icing:
- 100g double cream
- 120g caster sugar
- 200g cream cheese
- 8 drops Cumin Spice Drops®
- 3 Drops of Rose Spice Drops®
- A few chopped walnuts, for garnish
- For the carrot cake, preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3. Grease and line a 26 cm/10 inch spring form cake tin.
- In large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the carrot cake, except the carrots and walnuts, until well combined. Stir in the carrots and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the cake from the tin and set aside to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat the cream and caster sugar till soft peaks form then add the cream cheese and Spice Drops® in a bowl and beat until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Spread the icing on the completely cooled cake with a butter knife or palette knife and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.