What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda, or Ayurvedic medicine, was first developed in India over 3,000 years ago. It is a holistic healing approach that interprets health and wellness as a perfect balance between the mind, body, and spirit. It prioritises prevention and the promotion of good health rather than fighting or curing disease.
The three doshas
- Vata: dry, rough, thin skin
- Pitta: oily, sensitive skin, prone to acne, rosacea, and rashes
- Kapha: oily, cool, and thick skin, prone to whiteheads, blackheads, and eczema
Your dominant dosha is also reflective of your inner health. If you need help figuring out your dosha, try out this quiz.
Best Ayurvedic ingredients for your skin
Minor skin issues like the ones listed above are caused by an imbalance, or vikruti, of the doshas. Ayurvedic skincare aims to use herbs and other natural ingredients to promote balance. This can often be achieved with dietary changes and natural topical remedies.
Best ingredients for Vata skin:
- Coconut – keeps skin supple and hydrated
- Apricot oil – nourishes and restores dry skin and helps to keep skin soft and smooth
- Tulsi – combats early signs of ageing and brightens your complexion
Best ingredients for Pitta skin:
- Aloe vera – soothes inflammation and cools the skin
- Turmeric – helps to heal wounds and reduce appearance of scars
- Rose – counteracts redness and moisturises irritated skin
Best ingredients for Kapha skin:
- Cardamom – fights breakouts and provides a clear, even complexion
- Ginger – heals inflammation and rejuvenate the skin
- Lemon – tones and smooths the skin
Best Ayurvedic products for your skin
Our range of botanical skincare is produced with Ayurvedic medicine and philosophy in mind. Whether your dominant dosha is vata, pitta, or kapha, we have the perfect skin remedy for you.
Alternatively, try our Spice Drops in your food or drink. They are highly concentrated so just a single drop can impart therapeutic benefits.
For a more personal selection of products, you can also shop our range by skin type.
Best Ayurvedic skincare routine
The three key parts of an Ayurvedic daily skincare routine are cleansing, toning, and moisturising.
- Cleansing is crucial to all skin types because it removes the skin’s impurities and clears away dead skin cells, dirt, and oil. For Vata skin, use a rich cleanser that won’t strip too much of your skin’s natural oils, like our Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera Cleansing Lotion. For Pitta and Kapha skin, it’s important to look for products with oil-balancing ingredients, like turmeric and neem. Try out our Neem and Tulsi Handmade Yogi Soap.
- Toning balances the skin’s pH and removes any last dirt or impurities left behind after cleansing. Our Coconut and Jojoba Oil Face Serum is beneficial to all doshas.
- Moisturising is especially vital to Vata skin but it is also essential for oilier skin types. It reduces dryness, soothes the skin, and provides a healthy, glowing complexion. Our Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is excellent for Vata and Pitta skin and our Jojoba and Petitgrain Oil is great for all skin types.
Aside from these three daily steps, it’s also important to regularly exfoliate. This removes dead skin cells from the skin’s surface, which can cause dryness, itchiness, and clogged pores. All skin types can benefit from using our Vetivert Skin Polisher. Simply wet it and use it on the skin for a natural, gentle exfoliation.
If you want to improve your skin’s health, looking after your general health and wellbeing is just as important as using natural skin products. As well as keeping up with your daily Ayurvedic skincare routine, make sure to stay hydrated, eat a balanced diet, and get enough sleep in order to fully nourish your skin.
Exfoliating Body Scrub (Apricot Oil & Walnut Shell Powder)Product on sale£14.55 / 3 months – £15.00
Cleansing Lotion (Coconut Oil & Aloe vera)Product on sale£6.31 / 3 months – £6.50
Moisturising Face Cream (Jojoba & Petitgrain Oil)Product on sale£9.70 / 3 months – £10.00