The Recipe “Baked Lemon Chicken with Saffron” is low in calories, healthy and very exotic with the amazing taste of saffron, lemon and pomegranate. It’s only 7 smart points, for those counting points in the latest Weight Watchers diet and is 350 calories for those of you who are following the 5:2 diet, meaning that you can have this as a main meal on a fast day. It’s also a wonderful dinner party dish, and who would know it was a healthy option if served as part of an Asian inspired meal with naan bread, sambals and chutney…….and, the colour of the saffron makes it look very regal. You CAN use saffron threads in this recipe, but I used some amazing Holy Lama Spice Drops, which are VERY easy to use – the oil being extracted from fresh spices (and herbs).
Guest Recipe by Karen
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium chicken breasts, skinless and boneless (about 165g each)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 300mls chicken stock made with chicken stock cube
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 drops of Saffron Spice Drops (Or, large pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 2 tablespoons warm water)
- 115g Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley or coriander
- seeds from half a pomegranate
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Heat an oven and flame proof casserole dish (which has a lid), and add the oil, heat gently for a minute or two on the hob top until the oil is hot.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, turning them over, until they are golden brown. Add the onion and garlic and continue to cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the rice, parsley and pomegranate and stir to mix, then put the lid on the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and add the rice, stir and return the dish to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes with the lid on. (do not remove the lid)
- Stir, adjust the seasoning and add the parsley and pomegranate seeds before serving in warm bowls.
This exotic recipe for “Baked Lemon Chicken with Saffron & Pomegranate”, is packed with flavour, and is perfect for 5:2 diet fast days and for anyone following the Weight Watchers diet. (I used the excellent “Spice Drops” Saffron oil drops in this recipe, but you can use saffron strands if you cannot source the drops)