With the weather being so hot, it’s time to make some lovely cardamom ice cream.
Here’s a simple recipe by Laura Hammett
- 5 large egg yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- 250ml double cream
- 250ml whole milk
- Cardamom Spice Drops®, to taste
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar to a pale, thick, glossy paste, then set aside.
- Place the cream and milk in a large saucepan, set over medium-low heat, and bring to a simmer
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of the simmering mixture to the egg and sugar paste, whisking constantly, to temper the mixture.
- Add the rest of the cream and milk , whisking constantly.
- Return to the pan and cook over the lowest heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour into a jug or bowl & allow to cool. Cover with clingfilm (touching the top of the mixture) ,and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add Cardamom Spice Drops® to taste, and stir in well. (I used 10 drops, as I love cardamom, but you may prefer to use less).
- Transfer to an ice-cream machine, and churn and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have an ice-cream machine, pour into a freezer-proof container and transfer to the freezer, stirring with a fork every hour to break up the ice crystals. Repeat 3-4 times, then allow to freeze fully.